Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Unheard of...

Never again will I post twice in one day because: 1. no one wants to read this as much as I want to write it and 2. i'll get lazy again, guaranteed. However, here it goes...

Lately, I've been jamming to a lot of older alternative. If you go to U of I, you know I work at the radio station and basically sound like a commercial for Flashback Cafe with mat brown right now. Shameless promotion is not the intent of this blog, however. Lately, for whatever reason, I've been way in to that shitty, guitar heavy lo-fi stuff of the early 90s. I was talking to my friend Matt about it the other day and of course, I was immediately accused of being a nameless/faceless hipster. After my initial fit of rage over hearing myself called a hipster, I calmed down and realized that there was no point at getting worked up about it. I'm not a hipster and here's why...I like early 90s alternative. You may be thinking to yourself..."Well Sarah, doesn't that make you a hipster?" No, fine blog readers, it does not. Hipsters of the 2000s do not listen to early indie/alternative. They only listen to what is cool right now. Maybe if some older band is making a resurgence in popular culture, they may shift their alliances but for the most part, hipsters stick to the newest, shiniest vehicle that they can find. Right now on WPGU, this happens to be electronica. Although everyone likes a good dance song, what staying power do these bands(and I use this term very loosely because of their lack of instruments for the most part). I don't mean to make it seem like I don't like this type of music. That is not my intent. I really just want people to realize that it isn't necessary to latch on to the next best thing to be a popular radio station. We need to educate people out there about how indie/alternative came about and who made it possible for it to be popular now. People constantly talk about selling out and signing to major labels. Without bands like Pixies, Sebadoh and Dino Jr., do you honestly believe it would be possible for indie bands now to "sell out?" Because older bands carved the path out for the bands of today, bands that would have made $000000000 a decade ago are now making a living off of what they love. Basically, I think that indie or whatever the fuck you want to call it, becoming more popular is not a bad thing at all. If music that, in my opinion, is more meaningful than the pop drivel they play on top 40 radio is becoming more popular then as long as the band's music does not suffer, I am a-ok with it. Moral of the story is...respect your elders, children...you would still be living in 1. your parent's basement or 2. your shithole apartment at your menial Starbucks job, without them.

No comments: