Sunday, October 28, 2007

A little cheating

Although I've decided that this is a music blog by all accounts, I have to throw in some other media here and there. During this week, especially, I feel like I need to devote time and energy to the spreading of the horror movie gospel. If you know me at all, you know that I love the horror genre more than a momma's boy like Normal Bates loves his ma. Although I've devoted much more time this year than in year's past to watching horror movies, I've always had a sick relationship with them. When I was younger, I used to love to sneak down to my basement to watch them without parental consent. I would scare myself so much that I wouldn't be able to sleep for days and days. Yet, I still did it again and again. Nowadays, I still get ridiculously scared by them but in a completely temporary way. There is nothing like sitting alone in your house hearing all the noises that creak and moan and thinking that they're Michael Myers coming to get you. There is just something about ghosts and ghouls and zombies that I just can't get enough of.
Some of my favorite horror movies are 80s slasher movies like Friday the 13th and Halloween. In the history/film class I'm taking, we discuss conventions in film. Those slasher movies have so many conventions that it is impossible not to be able to predict exactly what is going to happen. Even though this is true, I still want to watch them all the time. The predictability is at the same time comforting and frightening. You scream at the TV or at the movie screen but they still can't hear you! This post has virtually no point but I wanted to share my halloweek fun with someone.
The moral of the story is...GET INTO HORROR FLICKS.

No comments: